It’s NOT the World Cup of (largely) Classical Music:
This is the playlist of all the games in Group A.
Each team in each game in round one of the football World Cup represented by a [short] piece of music, the pieces matched up like they’re the games and then people listen and voted… winners at the bottom!
Group 1, game 1
- Qatar – Dana Al Fardan: Etat D’Ame
Ecuador – Belen Vivero: The Ugly Duckling
- Senegal – Solo Cissokho: Toub
Netherlands – Nicolas Vallet: Carillon de village
- QATAR – Wael Binali: Olive Moon
SENEGAL – Joseph Bologne (Chevalier de St. Georges): “Enfin une foule… L’Amour, devient propice” from L’Amant Anonyme
- NETHERLANDS – Louis Andriessen: Rimsky or La Monte Young
ECUADOR – Luis Humberto Salgado: Nocturnal
- ECUADOR – Gerardo Guevara: Apamuy Shungo
SENEGAL – Aby Ngana Diop: Dieuleul Dieuleul (Take it, take it)
- NETHERLANDS – Henriëtte Bosmans: Three Impressions, En Espange
QATAR – Nasser Sahim: Four Seasons
There’s a Cacophony episode on Henriëtte Bosmans (a different piece, but it has interesting things in it about her and Frieda Belafonte)
- Ecuador bt Quatar
- Senegal bt Netherlands
- Senegal bt. Qatar
- Netherlands bt Equador
- Ecuador bt Senegal
- Netherlands bt Qatar
SENEGAL and ECUADOR had the same points but most votes, so went through to Round 2.